Sunday, October 9, 2011

Be Thankful

Alright, so it's Thanksgiving up were I am today. And in honor of such a holiday--we have some 'being thankful' themed challenges for you this week! I can't believe it's been 10 weeks already! Holy green batman!

Challenge 19: Be thankful. So, this one is sort of self explanatory, and therefore it should be easy. Be thankful if you live in an area with clean water, clean air, access to food, & no extreme weather. Just as an FYI, if nothing is done about the current state of our planet, the number of people with access to those things will shrink every year until none of us have access to any of them anymore. Tragedy of the Commons, anyone?

Challenge 20: Enjoy the last of the harvest. So, up here the harvest season is wrapping up. As part of this week's challenge, I ask that you enjoy the harvest before we settle in to winter. Buy some local, fresh food. Then, take some of that food and find a way to preserve it for the winter. Make a stew and freeze half of it. Take some apples and make a pie.

I know a lot of this challenge has been food centered--but it's only because I feel so passionately about organic, local food. We need to support local farmers. We need to support the people who feed us. We need to support non GMO, non frankenfood. I personally don't want a tomato in February shipped from who knows where that's been cross bred with a frog. I'd rather have delicious, local tomatoes from August-October and then save them as best I can so I can enjoy them all winter. Be an ant.

Alright, that's all for this week!

Endless <3
ManicPanic

2 comments:

  1. Thank god I have a zillion canned peaches from this summer. But srsly, there have been pies. And cobblers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, same here. We just made a peach pie for Thanksgiving from peaches that went out of season a month ago. We just froze them. Easy as pie. We are currently spending the next 3 weeks processing squash and pumpkin so that we can have pumpkin pies at Christmas/New Years. We also ended up with jars and jars of jam. And, we've been freezing 1/2 of all baked goods (we bake once a week) so that if I want delicious muffins in February made with local strawberries... I can have them! Local = Life.

    ReplyDelete